Monday, November 23, 2009

Poetry Hearing, Berlin

I spent this past weekend in Berlin, attending the Poetry Hearings Festival of English Language Poetry (November 20 & 21). The readings included Matthew Sweeney (IR), Alistair Noon (DE/UK), Mary Noonan (IR), Maurice Scully (IR), Donna Stonecipher (USA/DE), Tim Turnbull (UK), Andrew Shields (USA), Hanna Silva (UK), and Tom Chivers (USA/CH)

Poetry Hearings is a yearly event. This was the first year I was able to attend. Glad I did. This year's line-up of readers was exceptional. I particularly enjoyed Hanna Silva's performance, which reminded me a bit of Meredith Monk.

Monk is a singer/composer/choreographer/filmmaker who I used to revere, but hadn't thought of in some time. A little digging on the internet lead me to a documentary by the filmmaker Peter Greenaway, which included a great segment on Meredith Monk.

No comments: